Monday, July 7, 2008

6 Hours - Really????

When Madeleine had her one month check-up last week, the pediatrician said that she should eat every three hours during the day (from start of one feeding to the start of another) and then she should go 6 hours at night. The pediatrician said that if she woke up earlier than 6 hours, we should try to get her to go back to sleep. We were told to feed her at 11pm and then not again until 5am. The doctor said that she could do it. So, since last Monday, when Madeleine has woken up at night, Will and I have done our best to get her to go back to sleep and to not feed her until 5am. The first night, she woke up around 3 or 3:15. I was on duty that night. She usually gets squirmy when she's in her bassinet, but if you hold her, she usually cab fall back asleep fairly easily. So, although I don't want her to think that when she wakes up at night she's going to get to cuddle with Mommy, I decided to pick her up to try to get her to sleep until 5. I picked her up and she was wide awake. I didn't talk to her or play with her because I didn't want her to think that it was play time. So, we pretty much just hung out looking at each other. At 4:45, I decided enough was enough and I fed her. Throughout the week, Madeleine had some nights where we could get her to go back to sleep and some nights where we couldn't. There were some nights where we were able to hold off feeding her until 5 and there were some nights where we couldn't. Just last night, Will and I were discussing whether we thought Madeleine would be able to do this any time soon. Then, last night, our baby girl did it. She went until 5am without waking up. She feel asleep in my arms at 11:30 after eating. I put her in her bassinet and she stayed asleep. I actually woke up around 4 and when I heard silence from her bassinet - she usually gets squirmy by around 4 because she's waking up and she's hungry - I had to check to make sure she was okay. She was sound asleep. I went back to sleep thinking that she was going to wake up any minute, but the next thing I knew, I woke up and the clock said that it was 5am. My little girl was starting to get squirmy, but she made it without waking up until 5am. I know that it may not happen again for weeks, but I'm so proud of our little girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the stories you share and especially the photos. Can't wait to see her in person at Junaluska. love Aunt A & Uncle B

Anonymous said...

Isn't a sleeping baby a blessing! We can't wait to meet her,

Lisa, Rob, Ella

Karen said...

Wow, she is so impressive. I know this sleep thing is important, but maybe from now on if she wakes up before five you can take advantage of that time to train her in tennis. I expect a pro by Junaluska.

Anonymous said...

I am SO proud of not only her but you guys with the sleeping through the night thing. I would think it would take a lot of restaraint. But the fact that she sleeps until 3 or 4 AM most nights is pretty good. I have my two friends that are about a month behind you guys and they are dreaming of a time when their two and one week old will sleep that long.
I am really sorry I missed the shower but Elizabeth said it was really nice. I am sure my Mom had agreat time and appreciated being invited but she is slcker and has not e-mailed me about it yet. I love her anyway. We are in Aswan, Egypt now. It is hot as you know what, but what do you expect in the summer. I have lost ten pounds on the trip so far. We are kinda chillin here because Micah has abad cough and cold and I have abit of a stomach bug. But we will be fine soon. We come home in like 10 days.
Chat Later.
Much love to ALL GARVINS!!!