Thursday, June 12, 2008

Birth song

Based on the recommendations of some friends, Sam created a playlist on my ipod of about 200 various songs she liked. We then brought the ipod and some battery powered speakers into the delivery room for the birth. I set the ipod to randomly shuffle the playlist of songs so we wouldn't know the exact order of the songs as they played. It was pretty interesting trying to guess which song would come next and whether Madeleine would be born to that song. A couple of times Garth Brooks' songs came on, and I was very afraid that one of those would be the baby's birth song.

Luckily for me, she ended up being born to the song Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones. I am a big Stones fan (which is in large part thanks to my sister who is an even bigger Stones fan), and I was quite pleased with the result. After she was born, I researched the song a little bit and found out it was originally written to be a song about Keith Richards not wanting to leave his new infant son to tour with the band, which I thought had a nice meaning for a birth song. Unfortunately, Mick Jagger changed the original lyrics to be about the ending of his relationship with Marianne Faithfull. Nevertheless, it is still a great song to be born to.

Live version of song via YouTube



For more info on the song check out -


No comments: