Sunday, March 30, 2008

Baby Name!!!!!

Will and I finally have decided on a name for Baby Garvin. As some of you may know, it is Jewish tradition to name a child after a deceased family member. This is a way of honoring the family member as well as a way for their spirit to live on in the child. Because of this, Will and I chose a limited number of letters (based on the first letters of our grandparents' names) to look at when deciding on a name for Baby Garvin. We decided that one of the names would be after one of my relatives and the other name would be after one of Will's.

After looking at all of the name options for the various letters, we kept coming back to the same name. The first name is an M name, which is for my maternal grandmother, Martha, and my paternal great aunt, Molly.

For the middle name, we wanted a name that was based on Will's Grandmother Rybolt who passed away in February. We are using her maiden name (her middle name after marriage) as our baby's middle name.

We actually chose the name approximately one month ago. We then had a conversation about the spelling and quickly realized we both had different views on how to spell it. While coming up with the name was somewhat easy, it looked like we were going to have a bigger debate over the spelling. In the end, I used my powers of persuasion to convince Will to see it my way. Without further delay, Baby Garvin's name is:














Madeleine Helms Garvin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful name! We can hardly wait to meet her. love, Aunt Arlen & Uncle Bill

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! -Courtney

Anonymous said...

I too love the name. I appreciate so very much the meaning behind its selection and your suspenceful telling. Beautiful choice. Thanks for the blog, Sam. love, mom g

Anonymous said...

Love it
Love it
Love it!

That's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Besides, Supreme Court Justice Madeleine Helms Garvin has a nice ring to it.

Lisa, Rob, Ella

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam & Will, what a great name. Alexandra's favorite videos were of the red-haired "Madeline". I just know that both Grandmothers would be so proud. You look great Sam. Love, Aunt Sylvia & Uncle Gene

Anonymous said...

Wow, the suspense was killing me. great name choice. thanks again for taking Ben and I to lunch in Richmond. it was awesome to see you.
-Karen